Yeah, There’s Paula on my Left Arm.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: originally it was Flo on the left, but, I guess, the lads at the seaside made it more state-side friendly with Paula.
Mike and Paul, a couple of friends of ours, run a small walking holiday company. In summer they offer walking holidays in the ‘winter ski resorts’ of ‘Chamonix‘ and ‘the Dolomites‘. On their holidays in the French Alps, Paula does the all the cooking so her recipe book is bulging. I’ve taken a few of her favourites to share.
Mike and Paula get guests with all sorts of dietary requirements. Paula always tries to have a few favourites in the freezer for when a guest ‘forgot’ to tell her.
A Cashew Nut Burger freezes well, is delicious and very popular; they are a good choice for vegetarians.
Ingredients for Cashew Nut Burger.
- 50 gram roasted Cashew Nuts
- 50 gram white Breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, leaves removed from sprigs
- 50 gram Cheddar, grated
- 150 gram Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 Red Onion, finely chopped
- Half a Leek, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 100 gram Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp Honey
- A little Flour
- Oil for frying
How to Make Cashew Nut Burger.
- Whiz the cashew nuts in a blender of processor until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl throw the nuts, breadcrumbs, thyme and cheese.
- Boil the sweet potato in boiling water until soft. Drain and cool.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion, leek, carrot and mushrooms.
- Fry for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Tip this mixture into the breadcrumb mixture together with the sweet potato and honey.
- Mash together and season to taste.
- With floured hands, divide mixture and shape into eight burgers.
- Fry in a little oil for three to four minutes on each side until golden. Resist moving them around the pan or turning until crispy.
Serve immediately with a green salad and cous cous. To freeze, place between a couple of squares of greaseproof paper. Cook from frozen; seven to eight minutes for the first side.