Scotch Pancakes Recipe.
Flipping like a Pancake, Popping like a Cork.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: you need four bananas to make a split.
When skiing in the States, breakfast can really get your day off to a slow start; being able to resist a mountain of scotch pancakes has always been a problem for me! At least the carbo-loading means you can then ski non-stop ‘til sunset without needing to refuel.
Scotch Pancakes Ingredients.
- 250g Plain Flour
- 3tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 600ml Milk
- Fillings/Toppings of your choice: Maple Syrup, Whipped Butter, Bananas, Crispy Bacon, Blueberries; or all of the above!
Scotch Pancake Method.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl; create a well in the middle
- Crack the eggs into the well and start to blend with the dry ingredients
- Slowly add milk until all the dry ingredients are wet
- Add more milk and start to whisk the mixture
- Continue to add milk and whisk until you have a thick batter consistency
- Melt a knob of butter in a heavy frying pan
- Add 3-4 large spoonfuls (50-100ml) of batter to the pan to create 3-4 pancakes
- Once the batter has bubbled and set (2mins-ish), flip each pancake over to cook the other side (1min-ish)
- Stack the cooked pancakes in a warm oven
- Continue cooking in batches until all the batter is used