Mixed Mushroom Stroganoff.
Yeah, There’s Paula on my Left Arm.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: originally it was Flo on the left, but, I guess, the lads at the seaside made it more state-side friendly with Paula.
Mike and Paul, a couple of friends of ours, run a small walking holiday company. In summer they offer walking holidays in the ‘winter ski resorts’ of ‘Chamonix‘ and ‘the Dolomites‘. On their holidays in the French Alps, Paula does the all the cooking so her recipe book is bulging. I’ve taken a few of her favourites to share.
Paula doesn’t like vegetarians to feel odd, so this is a great veggie version of stroganoff for when everyone else is eating beef. It is a really substantial meal and is great served with Basmati rice. Paula says any mix of mushrooms will do, but suggests a few porcini mushrooms, whilst a bit expensive, add great flavour.
Ingredients for Mixed Mushroom Stroganoff.
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 300 gram mixed Mushrooms
- 150 ml Veg Stock, cube is fine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, optional, only add if your vegetarian is OK with fish
- 3 tbsp Soured Cream
- handful fresh Parsley, chopped
How to Make Mixed Mushroom Stroganoff.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and soften the onion.
- Add the garlic and paprika and cook for another minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook on a high heat for five minutes, stir often.
- Pour in the stock and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to the boil, bubble for 5 to 10 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the soured cream and the parsley.
- Make sure the pan is not on the heat or the sauce may split.