Monthly Mountain Recipe | Veggie Chilli.
I was Chillin’ with my Ladies.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: peas or beans? Or is it just a bit of dirty dancing?
August is the month to be in the southern hemisphere if you want to ski, so this month’s recipe takes its inspiration from there too. In gastronomy terms, South America is perhaps best known for big, fat juicy steaks and full-bodied red wine. I’ll take the wine, but as a vegetarian I needed to get my recipe inspiration elsewhere. So this month, I share with you my recipe for veggie chilli.
Vegetarian Chilli Ingredients.
- 2-3 Carrots finely chopped
- 3 sticks Celery finely chopped
- A red Onion finely chopped
- Couple red Chillis finely chopped
- A couple of Portabello Mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 200ml Vegetable Stock (from cube)
- 400g tin Tomatoes
- Good squeeze Tomato Purée
- 400g tin Black Turtle Beans (or Red Kidney)
- Generous splash Worcestershire Sauce
- A couple of squares of Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Cooking Oil
The actual quantities of ingredients aren’t that important here; use what you’ve got in the cupboard or what you like.
How to Make Veggie Chilli.
- In a large pan heat a splash of cooking oil.
- Add the Carrots, Celery, Onion and Chillis; stir to coat with oil, lower the heat to sweat the veg; about 10mins.
- Add the Mushrooms, Cumin, Stock, Tomatoes and Tomato Purée; stir well, cover pan and gently simmer until veg is cooked through; about 20 mins.
- Add the Beans; remove lid, stir well.
- Add Worcestershire Sauce, Chocolate, Sugar and S&P to taste; continue to simmer gently until Chilli is good and thick; about 20mins.
To serve veggie chilli: A good bowlful topped with soured cream and chopped coriander; warm flat-breads on the side make it awesome.
Other veg options include: sweet corn, squash, sweet potato, courgette, peppers.
Other garnishes include: grated cheese, avocado, Tabasco, spring onion, rice, beer.