Germknodel Recipe | Giant Plum Dumpling.
She Looks Like a Sugar in a Plum.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: if a Mobot was skinny it would be a …
Weird looking steamed yeast dumplings that are the size of your head!
Filled with jam (usually plum) and served with a lake of custard, that’s custard, NOT crème anglais, and sprinkled with a mixture of crushed poppy seeds and sugar. A great dish to share between two for elevenses.
Germknodel is at number eight in my Top 10 Vegetarian Meals available in Austrian Ski resorts. Making Germknodel’s at home will never replicate the experience of eating one on the mountain, but if you are 1000s of miles from Austria, give it a go.
- 250ml Milk
- 1 Egg
- 70g melted Butter
- 70g Sugar
- 500g Plain Flour
- 1 packet (7g) Dried Yeast
- Plum Jam
- 4 tblsp Poppy Seeds
- 4 tbsp Icing Sugar
How to Make Germknodel.
- Place the first six ingredients, in order, in a bread maker, set to dough and start.
- When machine has finished, divide the dough into six equal portions, roll each into a ball.
- Push your finger into the centre of each dumpling.
- Insert a generous spoonful of plum jam into the centre and close the dumpling around it.
- Sprinkle with a little sieved flour, cover with a clean, damp T-towel and place in a warm place for about 20mins to rise.
- Place dumplings in steamer, leaving them plenty of room to rise in all directions.
- Steam for 20 minutes.
- Place equal amounts of poppy seed and sugar in coffee grinder and blitz.
Serves Six: Surround a dumpling with lashings of Birds custard and sprinkle with a generous spoonful of the poppy seed mix; nom, nom, nom.
pop trivia: “She looks like a sugar in a plum” from ‘Brown Girl in the Ring’ by Boney M (1978).
In order not to miss any of my blog posts on the latest ski offers, news and information; you should obviously make sure you sign up for Ski Alerts. Your data will not be shared with others and will only send you about 2 emails a month.