Tomato Goat Cheese Crumble.
Yeah, There’s Paula on my Left Arm.
pop quiz: the lyric above is from what song and artist? clue: originally it was Flo on the left, but, I guess, the lads at the seaside made it more state-side friendly with Paula.
Mike and Paul, a couple of friends of ours, run a small walking holiday company. In summer they offer walking holidays in the ‘winter ski resorts’ of ‘Chamonix‘ and ‘the Dolomites‘. On their holidays in the French Alps, Paula does the all the cooking so her recipe book is bulging. I’ve taken a few of her favourites to share.
Vegetarian food is often so much more colourful than ‘brown’ meat. Paula’s Tomato Goat Cheese Crumble is a great example, loved by veggies and non-veggies alike.
- 1 kg Mixed Tomatoes
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 gram Goat Cheese
- 50 gram Pine Nuts
- 100 gram fresh white Breadcrumbs
- 50 gram Parmesan Cheese, grated
How to Make Tomato Goat Cheese Crumble.
- Roughly chop the tomatoes, leaving any cherry ones whole.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, add the chopped tomatoes, season and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and saucy.
- Remove pan from the heat and stir in the whole cherry tomatoes.
- Spoon half the tomato mix into a large oven proof dish and crumble half of the goat cheese on top; repeat another layer with the remaining tomatoes and cheese.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan and lightly fry the pine nuts and breadcrumbs.
- Remove from the heat and stir in half the parmesan.
- Scatter breadcrumb mix over the tomatoes and cheese, then top with the rest of the parmesan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven, 190oC until bubbling and golden.